WHAT WE DO | Starting a Business

Starting a business in New Haven? Here's a list of things you need to think about:

Licenses, permits & business registration

Corporations, limited liability companies, and limited partnerships must file with the Connecticut Secretary of the State‚Äôs office.  All general partnerships and sole proprietors, file a trade name certificate with the town/city clerk where the business is based. For additional information, please contact us at 203-785-1000.

To register, contact:

The Office of the Secretary of State, Commercial Recordings
30 Trinity Street
Hartford, CT 06106

(860) 509-6002 or (860) 566-8570

Or online at http://www.concord-sots.ct.gov/CONCORD

Tax ID numbers

The Connecticut Department of Revenue offers tax ID numbers, but also taxpayer assistance for payroll and sales taxes.

For assistance, contact:

Dept. of Revenue Services
3074 Whitney Ave
Hamden, CT 06518

(203) 287-8243

Or online at http://www.ct.gov/drs

Employer ID numbers

All principals of a corporation are considered employees and should contact the Department of Labor to obtain an Employer ID Number (Form REG-1). All firms employing workers are subject to the State's Unemployment Insurance Law and should register with the:

Connecticut Department of Labor
Employment Security Division
200 Folly Brook Blvd
Wethersfield, CT 06106

(860) 263-6000

Or online at http://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/

Trade name registration

State law requires all businesses to register their "Trade Name(s)" within the local Town Municipality where the business is registered to do business, and file a Personal Property Declaration Form at the Office of the Tax Assessor.

A "Trade Name" Certificate form requires a filing fee of $5.50 per document. If you have a name change, dissolve the business or relocate to another municipality, you must file another Trade Name Certificate.
In New Haven, the place to file is:

City of New Haven
City/Town Clerk's Office
200 Orange St, room 202
New Haven, CT 06510

(203) 946-8346

Other permits

For more help in identifying the State of Connecticut licenses or permits you may need to start your business call Smart Start for Business (www.ct-clic.com/Content/Smart_Start_for_Business.asp), a program of the Connecticut Economic Resource Center (www.cerc.com) at 1-800-392-2122.

Also visit the Connecticut Licensing Information Center ( www.ct-clic.com). Smart Start will walk you through a step by step process of all the necessary requirements to start a business in the State of Connecticut.

Other useful information

Check in with City Hall:

If your business will have a facility in New Haven, including individuals who work from home, contact the:

City Plan Office for zoning regulations (203-946-6378)
Health Department (203-946-6999)
Fire Marshal (203-946-6222)
Building Department (203-946-8045)

Do not hesitate to contact any of these departments or the EDC with questions.

Get a lawyer:

Get help from a business attorney when starting a business. If you cannot afford one, contact the Yale Law Clinic (203-432-4800), which provides free legal services to potential New Haven business owners.

Get business insurance:

As a new business owner, you should at least have liability insurance that covers the type of business you are starting. It should cover the business owner, business and employees. Only the business owner can decide what coverage is adequate. If you are hiring employees, you must also get Workman's Compensation Insurance through a private insurance company. Rates will vary, depending on the type of industry the business is in.

Real estate issues:

Businesses seeking information about relocation, downtown development projects, personal property and real estate assessment deferral programs should contact the the City of New Haven Office of Economic Development (203-946-2366) or the Economic Development Corporation of New Haven (203-785-1000).

Take a look at some of the resources the EDC can offer your business!